Energy, Oil & Gas
"The Firm is probably the most visible on energy and infrastructure projects and it is also the most often recommended port-of-call for international clients."
– IFLR 1000, Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firm’s, 2015 Edition.
With accurate and timely advice, oil is poised to become the biggest engine of growth in Uganda and the East African region.
KATS has represented and continues to advise emerging and established energy and oil companies on a wide spectrum of legal matters in this area of the law ranging from business establishment and licensing to regulatory compliance. We have represented clients in transactions in the upstream, middle and downstream areas of the Oil & Gas value chain.
We have advised various clients on numerous Energy Power generation projects including Hydro power dams in Western and Northern Uganda, Solar power projects and companies involved in distribution of solar kits and raising financing for renewable energy projects.
Although the Oil & Gas practice in Uganda is relatively new, KATS has quickly developed expertise in this practice area and has put together a multidisciplinary team of lawyers to accurately advise its clients. The Firm has been the natural choice and perfect fit for almost all parties seeking to explore, develop and grow Uganda’s rich oil potential, as well as those seeking to acquire a stake in the concessions that have been issued by the Government of Uganda.
Further, our Firm has been retained to advise clients on matters relating to multi-billion dollar joint exploration agreements, day-to-day exploration and production activities, applications for grant of petroleum rights, compliance with the statutory and regulatory framework, acquisition of petroleum rights, business establishment and structuring, due diligence investigations and risk management.
Our Oil & Gas practitioners are highly skilled and competent to provide a full range of legal services in the industry with respect to the acquisition, ownership and operation of production, refining, storage and transportation assets, including but not limited to:
- Applications for the grant of petroleum rights and obtaining access to valuable upstream acreage.
- Mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures, particularly in the upstream exploration and production sector.
- Farm-ins and farm-outs of petroleum interests.
- Midstream and downstream projects, such as refining.
- Construction contracting using all forms of Engineering, Procurement and Construction contracts.
- Host government contracts including Production Sharing Contracts, Risk Service Contracts and Royalty Tax Contracts.
- Statutory and regulatory compliance.
- Environmental and health and safety compliance.
- Risk management through contracts and insurance.
- Due diligence investigations and reports.
- Creative tax planning advisory.
- Operating agreements for both domestic and international clients.
- Project structure and financing advisory.
- Marketing arrangements
- Post-project and ongoing development activities
- Advised the Government of Uganda on the Billion dollar development and financing of Uganda's first ever oil refinery in conjunction with an interdisciplinary advisory team consisting of globally respected professionals in the oil and gas industry such as Taylor-DeJongh, Jacobs Consultancy and Eversheds.
- Advised the Sessional Committee on Natural Resources of the Parliament of Uganda during the review of the Petroleum (Exploration Development and Petroleum) Bill.
- Advised Supermajor ("Big Oil") on the Billion dollar acquisition of an oil concession from an international oil exploration company .
- Advised Talisman Energy Inc. on its proposed bid for a stake in the oil interests in Uganda.
- Advised Cairn India on its proposed bid for a stake in the oil interests in Uganda.
- Advised Eni S.p.A on its proposed bid for assets belonging to Heritage Uganda.
- Advised Swiber on its proposed interest to buy a stake in the oil interests in Uganda.
- Advised Supermajor ("Big Oil") on the acquisition of all the fuel stations and business of Chevron (trading as Caltex Oil) in Uganda, a company with over 40 fuel stations in Uganda.
- Advised Puma Energy on its proposed acquisition of Kenolkobil, the largest company in East Africa, a transaction worth Billions of dollars.
- Advised Triton Petroleum Limited on its proposed acquisition of the business and assets of Petro Uganda Limited and undertook due diligence for this project.
- Advised Shell Uganda Ltd on its acquisition of all the fuel stations and interests of Uganda Petroleum Ltd (UPET).
- Advised Gapco Uganda limited on the acquisition of all the assets of Esso Petroleum in Uganda.