We know that one of your most important relationships are those with your employers and employees.
Our Employment team advises on the full spectrum of employment issues and laws.
KATS advises corporate and individual clients (both domestic and foreign) on employment contracts, policies and procedures, handling redundancies and relations with trade unions, remuneration and incentive systems, pension funds and social security audits, expatriation.
We are adept at preparing and reviewing employment contracts, such as non disclosure, non-compete and confidentiality agreements, and advising on their enforceability. We offer counsel on legal issues running the gamut from recruitments to terminations, enforcement of post-termination obligations by former employees, non-competition covenants, protection of intellectual property, conducting investigations, compensation disputes.
We represent our clients in suits for discrimination and harassment claims, wrongful termination, worker’s compensation in the event of personal injuries sustained by worker’s during the course of employment, trade secret theft.
The Firm has done a lot of work including arbitration and actions relating to employee benefits and managerial compensation, primarily on behalf of large corporate bodies and has succeeded in concluding some of the largest class action employment suits in East Africa.
- Represented and secured a settlement for former employees of the East African Community valued at over USD 45 Million
- Represented and secured a settlement for former employees of East African Airways valued at over USD 18.5 Million
- Represented and secured settlements for former employees of Uganda Airlines.
- Represented and secured a settlement on behalf of Bank of Uganda (the Central Bank) regarding claims brought by former Bank employees worth over USD 8 Million.
- Represented, reviewed and prepared employee handbooks and manuals for numerous clients including but not limited to Warid Telecom, American Tower Corporation, Uganda Red Cross, Uganda Virus Research Institute, International Hospital Kampala, Kinyara Sugar Works.
- Represented Kinyara Sugar Works; Uganda’s largest sugar producer, in negotiations with workers and out growers, and secured a settlement of employee disputes which prevented potential strike action.
- Represented Mcleod Russell Uganda, the Ugandan arm of the world’s largest tea producer, in all its negotiations with its employees and out growers which averted a potential strike and secured a settlement.
- Represents Uganda Red Cross in various employee disputes regarding various officials in various branches across the country
- Represented and secured settlement on behalf of Africa One Airlines and Dairo Air Services with all former employees
- Participated in reviewing and drafting various legislation involving health and safety standards in the work place in Uganda including the Worker’s Compensation Act,the Employment Act 2006
- Prepared review of relevant legislation, safety handbooks, conducted training seminars for management and staff on legislation for various clients in the manufacturing sector including but not limited to Mcleod Russell, Kinyara Sugar Works, Nilefos Minerals, National Agricultural Research Association (NARO).