Tax & Compliance
The right tax advice can be the difference between the survival or failure of any business venture.
We are a top-ranking Tax Law Firm in Uganda, providing a complete set of tax compliance and advisory services to assist our clients navigate through both routine and complex business transactions at all levels of the business growth cycle.
Our team comprises highly trained and experienced lawyers and accountants who are well equipped to handle any tax matter. One of the Firm’s Senior Partners, Prof. Edward F. Ssempebwa is widely acknowledged as one of Uganda’s leading Tax Law specialist,s as he helped draft much of Uganda’s basic tax legislation.
We provide specialized advice including but not limited to:
- Tax Compliance Services – tax registration, corporate income tax Compliance as well as Value Added Tax (VAT), Withholding Tax (WHT), Pay As You Earn (PAYE), Excise, Stamp Duty and Social Security (NSSF) compliance.
- International Tax Structuring and Advisory – we provide optimal tax advice in respect of international restructuring, permanent establishment, profit distribution and other aspects of international tax planning.
- Transaction Advisory – we provide due diligence and specific transaction advisory, mergers and acquisitions and corporate restructuring.
- Customs Compliance and Advisory – pre-export Verification of Compliance (PVoC) exemptions, tax treatment applications, CET Classification, import taxes (including Import Duty, VAT, WHT, Environmental Levy and Infrastructure Levy)
- Exemptions and Incentives – for local and international investors particularly in specialized sectors such as oil and gas, mining, agricultural, manufacturing, Non Governmental Organizations (NGOs) to mention a few. We also provide advice on access to Free Zones tax incentives and benefits.
- Transfer Pricing – we offer transfer pricing advisory services that foster compliance with the Transfer Pricing laws in Uganda as well as the OECD’s Anti Base Erosion and Profit Shifting Initiative (BEPS)
- Tax Audits and Health Checks – we assist clients through all forms of tax audits by Uganda Revenue Authority including comprehensive audits, VAT and WHT audits as well as Transfer Pricing Audits. We also assist clients to continually assess and improve tax compliance through health checks.
- Tax Objections and Appeals – we assist clients to prepare and defend objections to tax assessments/decisions from URA. We represent and advise our clients in numerous tax related litigation matters before Arbitration Tribunals, the Tax Appeal Tribunal, High Court and all other levels of appeal; including multi-million-dollar tax cases involving major oil players in Uganda and insurance companies to mention a few.
We maintain close relationships with the four major audit firms and law firms not just in Uganda, but in all the world’s major financial centres and tax havens to ensure that our clients capitalize on opportunities.
Our major clients include multi-national corporations with subsidiaries set up in Uganda including banking/finance, manufacturing, insurance, telecom, airlines, agricultural, pharmaceutical and oil and gas as well as mining companies.
We also provide services to a wide range of indigenous companies in the real estate and export sectors as well as to individuals with a high net worth such as CEOs, shareholders and managing directors of large corporations, sports and entertainment personalities.