Banking & Finance
"The group is at the forefront of expansion of Uganda's banking sector, advising international and regional banks on the setting up of new branches and financial services products."
– Chambers and Partners: Guide to the World’s Leading Lawyers for Business
"The firm boasts expertise in banking and corporate mandates and draws on the skills of some of the most highly trained lawyers in Uganda."
– IFLR1000 – Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms
We understand your banking and financing needs and work to help you meet and exceed your targets.
We have one of the largest banking practices in Uganda representing several leading international, regional and local banks. We have acted as counsel for numerous foreign and local investors, foreign donor agencies and government bodies seeking to underwrite major loans and transactions within the region and have performed due diligence exercises and monitoring of the projects that have been underwritten. We have also developed a niche specializing in all matters relating to e-commerce and e-banking.
Our practice includes but is not limited to: fintech (a developing industry in Uganda, utilizing technology to improve activities in the finance realm, for instance mobile banking and cryptocurrency), agency banking, Islamic finance, general banking, structured finance, guarantees, derivatives, debentures and charges, organisational structuring, regulatory compliance, commercial and customer agreements, disputes with regulatory bodies, regulatory investigations and enforcement proceedings, litigation and arbitration, insolvency, commercial and investment banking, securities and derivatives, syndicated and general lending, asset and project finance, custody and insurance business.
Our Team provides comprehensive coverage and support in relation to the laws and regulations of all the key financial centers in the region. We offer seamless advice and in-depth understanding of issues faced by financial institutions and infrastructure providers.
We have also, over the years offered cogent advice to our clients about corporate, commercial and investment law and have in the process helped in the setting up of companies, joint venture organisations and restructured and modified the same.
Our Firm has consistently been the choice for clients with ground-breaking and unusually challenging transactions in the region and it is therefore not surprising that Goldman Sachs International, BNP Paribas, Barclays Bank PLC, Credit Suisse International, Standard Chartered Bank PLC and Accenture all sought advice from our Firm when considering entering the unusually complex derivatives market in East Africa.
Over the years, our banking clientele has included: China Development Bank, Africa Development Bank, Agence Francaise de Development (AFD), OPIC, East African Development Bank, Trade and Development Bank (former Eastern and Southern African Trade and Development Bank – PTA Bank), ICICI Bank, Uganda Development Bank, Stanbic Bank, ABSA, Barclays Bank of Uganda Limited, Standard Chartered Bank, Bank of Uganda, Commercial Bank of Africa, NC Bank, DFCU Bank, Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank, Islamic Faisal Bank, Global Trust Bank.
In addition, our regional reach is unique; we are recognised as having strong advisory practices in Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda and Sudan – a strength that is particularly important to financial institutions that form our core client group. With a respected regional practice, we understand the relevant financing issues and know how to handle them deftly and cost-effectively. We have in-depth coverage across the full range of investment and commercial banking and retail financial services. This is backed by our strengths in collective investments, unit trusts, corporate finance as well as investment banking.
The Firm has also provided general advisory services to the Bank of Uganda on legal and regulatory framework.
KATS is part of a larger LEXAfrica practice group of Banking & Finance, which guarantees that we can handle your Banking Transactions all across the continent of Africa.
Select transactions in this sector that the Firm has been involved in include:
China Development Bank
- Advised Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (ICBC) – one of the largest banks in China, on a loan worth USD 220 Million.
- Advised China Development Bank on a USD 112 Million loan to Warid Telecom involving carrying out a due diligence on the borrower, drafting of loan documentation and advising on enforceability of the security.
- Advised China Development Bank on its USD 10 Million facility to East Africa Development Bank. This involved carrying out a due diligence on the borrower, drafting loan documentation and advising on enforceability of the security.
African Development Bank (ADB)
- Advised ADB on a UGX 125 Billion bond issue.
- Advised ADB on a USD 20 Million line of credit facility to Housing Finance Bank Limited.
Trade and Development Bank (TDB), formerly Eastern and Southern Africa Development Bank (PTA Bank)
- Advised TDB on a USD 20 Million facility to Roko Construction Limited, Uganda’s leading and largest construction company.
- Advised TDB in respect of a USD 47.3 Million facility to Kampala Cementers Limited for the development of a cement factory in Mukono, Uganda.
- Advised TDB in respect of a USD 12.5 Million facility to Multiple Hauliers (E.A) Limited for the importation of plant machinery and clinker for the manufacture of cement.
- Advised TDB in respect of a USD 16.8 Million facility to Laburnam Courts Limited for the refinancing of two loans from two separate financial institutions and completion of construction works on an a luxury real estate development.
- Advised TDB in respect of a USD 7 Million facility to Abacus Parental Drugs Limited to finance the importation of pharmaceutical products for the refinancing of two loans from two separate financial institutions and completion of construction works on an a luxury real estate development.
- Advised TDB in respect of a USD 5 Million facility to Abacus Pharma (Africa) Limited in the nature of a revolving import credit facility to finance the importation of pharmaceutical drugs for resale in Uganda and neighbouring countries.
East Africa Development Bank (EADB)
- Advised EADB on the setting up of an East Africa wide venture capital fund for Small and Medium Enterprises.
- Advised EADB on the proposed first mortgage based securitisation in the East and Central Africa valued at over USD 10 Million.
ABN Amro Bank N.V
- Advised ABN Amro Bank on a USD 9 Million revolving fund to Ibero Uganda Limited.
Agence Francais de Development (AFD)
- Advised AFD on all the legal and transactional requirements for its EUR 9 Million loan to National Water and Sewerage Corporation.
SwedFund International Akitebolag
- Advised SwedFund International Akitebolag on its loan guarantee arrangement to Micro Uganda Limited
Uganda Development Bank
- Advise UDB on its routine lending transactions.
ICICI Bank UK PLC
- Advised ICICI Bank UK PLC on its USD 20 Million loan facility to Borelli Tea Holdings
We also provide routine legal advisory services to several local commercial banks including but not limited to:
- NC Bank Uganda Limited
- Equity Bank
- DFCU Bank
Our Firm has provided legal and advisory services to various investment banks, including advising some of the investment banks when they were contemplating entering the unusually complex derivatives market in East Africa. Some of the investment banks we have advised include but are not limited to:
- Goldman Sachs International,
- BNP Paribas,
- Barclays Bank PLC,
- Credit Suisse International,
- Standard Chartered Bank PLC