Mergers & Acquisitions
We work with you on your transaction from thought to finish.
Our Firm has the strength and depth and has consistently provided quality legal services to its local and international
clients involved in M & A transactions, and restructurings in a cross section of sectors including energy, oil & gas, banking & finance, telecommunications, pharmaceuticals, agriculture and retail.
We routinely carry out due diligence processes and provide legal and tax assistance with regard to joint infrastructure and energy projects between the Private sector and Government.
We have represented both the Government and private investors and therefore bring a unique experience and can
offer cogent advice having handled negotiations from both sides of the divide.
Our team assists clients through all stages of a transaction, from preparing the business for sale and performing due
diligence, to negotiating the purchase agreement, coordinating the closing of the deal, across multiple jurisdictions (where applicable), and integrating the operations of the surviving entity. From deal inception to business integration, we help clients bridge the gap between thinking about their goals and accomplishment of their targets.
We act for clients in various capacities including as purchasers, sellers, directors, shareholders and financiers. Our client’s risk profile is always front of mind and we ensure that we achieve the best results for them. We work closely with regulators which enables us to bring transactions to a successful close, on time and efficiently.
Our multidisciplinary industry focus enables us to identify and anticipate regulatory changes, market dynamics, and trends that can impact our clients’ business transactions. We work together across practice areas leveraging the transactional knowledge and subject matter experience of our lawyers to provide our clients with uninterrupted support.
KATS is part of a larger LEXAfrica practice group of Mergers & Acquisitions, which guarantees that we can handle your M&A Transactions all across the continent of Africa.
- Advised a supermajor (“Big oil”) entity and on its multi-billion dollar acquisition of an oil concession from another oil company in Uganda.
- Lead Legal advisor to a supermajor (“Big oil”) entity on the acquisition of all the fuel stations and business of Chevron (trading as Caltex Oil) in Uganda.
- Advised ABSA on its multi-billion dollar acquisition of a 100% stake in Barclays Bank Uganda, as part of the group effort to streamline the African operations of Barclays and ABSA.
- Advised Equity Bank on its 100% acquisition of Uganda’s then largest microfinance institution, Uganda Microfinance Limited
- Legal advisor to American Towers Corporation on all aspects of its multi-million acquisition of the tower business of MTN Uganda.
- Advisor to Warid Telecom on its multi-million dollar sale of its tower business to Eaton Towers.
- Advised Wal-Mart, the world’s largest public company when it acquired Massmart a South African store chain with seventeen (17) representative stores in Africa, on all aspects of the acquisition of the Uganda subsidiary of Massmart, a transaction valued in millions of dollars.
- Advised Mcleod Russel on its multi-million dollar purchase of Tea plantations owned by James Finlays Limited in Uganda.
- Advised Telkom SA on its acquisition of Uganda Online and AFSAT Telecommunications Limited.
- Advised AFSAT communications on its merger with Africa Online
- Advised VTEL Limited on its proposed acquisition of majority shareholding of one of the leading telecommunications companies in Uganda.
- Advised Shell Uganda Ltd on its acquisition of all the fuel stations and interests of Uganda Petroleum Limited (UPET).
- Advised Gapco Uganda Limited on the acquisition of all the assets of Esso Petroleum in Uganda.