Sophia S. Nampijja
- University of Houston – Master of Laws (LL.M) – 2013
- Makerere University – Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) (Hons) – 2009
- Law Development Center – Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice – 2010
- New York State Board of Law Examiners – Certificate to practice law in New York – 2013.
- East African School of Taxation – Post Graduate Diploma in Revenue Law and Taxation – 2011
- Attorney & Counsellor-at-Law – State of New York
- Advocate in the Republic of Uganda
Countries In Which Practiced
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- East Africa Law Society
- Uganda Law Society
- ‘Guide to Mining in Uganda.‘ Published in the LexAfrica Guide to Mining in Africa, 2019 and 2015 Editions.
- ‘Child Sacrifice in Uganda: Assessing the Legal and Policy Framework.‘ Published by Lambert Academic Printing (LAP) ISBN: 978-8383-9950-9.
- ‘Uganda’s Oil Contracts: The Missing Fiscal Piece.’ Seminar Paper.
Sophia is a Principal Associate in the Energy, Corporate & Commercial Department. She routinely advises clients on a broad spectrum of corporate and commercial legal issues.
In 2013, she joined the Energy sub-department, as a key technical addition to the team following her acquisition of specialized training in Oil & Gas in the United States of America, at the University of Houston. Sophia has since been advising the Government of Uganda on the procurement of a lead investor for the development of the first refinery in Uganda.
Sophia’s other key practice areas include Energy especially hydro, solar and mining advisory. She has also acquired substantial training and experience in Project Financing.
Sophia obtained a Post Graduate Diploma from the well-respected East African School of Taxation and routinely advises large multinational and local companies as well as individuals on a wide range of tax issues particularly corporate tax structuring and planning and the importation tax regime to optimise savings on tax obligations, tax incentives under Ugandan law and compliance requirements with the regulatory tax body.
Sophia is licensed to practice law as an Attorney and Counsellor-at-Law in New York in the United States and has also been admitted to the Bar in Uganda.
She is also a member of the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators based in Houston, which is one of the largest Petroleum Associations, boasting thousands of members across one hundred and ten (110) countries.
Currently, Sophia is a member of the Uganda National Bureau of Standards Technical Committee formulating standards for the Petroleum Management and Health, Safety and Environment which include standards for the protection of onshore oil and gas leases.
Tax & Compliance
Oil & Gas
- Advisor to the Government of Uganda on the billion dollar development and financing of Uganda’s first ever greenfield oil refinery.
- Advisor to Puma Energy on its proposed acquisition of Kenolkobil, the largest company in East Africa in a transaction worth millions of dollars.
- Legal advisor to UK based international law firm on a tax dispute between the Uganda Government and one of the up-streamers in Uganda.
- Advisor to a UK based law firm regarding the key legal and regulatory issues affecting the development of a crude export pipeline from Uganda to Mombasa
- Legal Advisor to one of the sponsors in the development of a 5.8MW Hydro Power Project in Western Uganda
- Advisor to two different local entities involved in the marketing and distribution of solar kits to rural areas.
- Advisor to a local company developing IT and Finance solutions to assist local farmers gain access to solar energy.
- Advised Uganda Pulp and Paper Manufacturing Co. Limited on its acquisition of the assets of PAPCO Uganda Limited, making it one of the biggest paper producers in Uganda.
- Advisor to a local client in respect of a mineral right challenge to the Geological Survey and Mines Department
- Advisor to a local mineral license holder on the multi-million dollar acquisition of a stake in the client’s mineral exploration rights for Gold, Tantalum and Base metals by a consortium comprising South African investors.
- Advisor to individual holders of mineral exploration licenses for mineral rights in Uganda about acquisition of stake by Indian companies for beneficiation.
- Advisor to an international firm on the tax implications of its multi-million investment in a Dairy Processing Plant in Western Uganda.
- Advisor to Warid Telecom (now Airtel Uganda) on the Value Added Tax implications of its transfer of towers to Eaton Towers.
- Advisor to an Five star Airline on the tax implications of the choice of its corporate structure in Uganda.
- Advised 8 Mile, a private equity fund on its multi-million investment for a stake in Biyinzika International Poultry Limited.
- Advised CDC on its acquisition of a stake in GEMS schools Uganda
For more detailed information regarding transactions handled by this lawyer, please contact us at email@example.com.