Soogi K. Katende
- Harvard Law School – Master of Laws (LL.M) with Distinction – 1997
- Makerere University – Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) (Hons) – 1994
- Best Student and Dean’s List Scholar for each of the 3 years he was at the University, culminating in his award of the Chief Justice Republic of Uganda’s prize for Academic Excellence.
- Minister of Justice and Constitutional Affairs of the Makerere University Student’s Guild
- Attorney General of the Makerere University Student’s Guild.
- Law Development Centre – Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice – 1995
- Awarded the Chairman, Board of Governors of the Law Development Centre Prize for Overall Best Student
- New York State Board of Law Examiners – Certification (Bar Course) – 1997
- Attorney and Counsellor at Law in the State of New York
- Notary Public
- Commissioner for Oaths
- Advocate in the Republic of Uganda
Countries In Which Practiced
- United States of America
- International Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- East African Law Society
- Uganda Law Society
‘Graduated tax in Uganda: A case for reform.’ Thesis in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the award of a Bachelor of Laws degree.
Soogi is the Partner in charge of the Firm’s solicitor work as well as the Finance Controller.
He has practised law for 25 years and is extensively involved in transactions with Capital markets, Mergers & Acquisitions (particularly cross border M&A), Corporate Restructurings and Joint Ventures. He also advises on various aspects of Employment, Real Estate, Intellectual Property, Telecommunications law, Commercial and Trade Agreements and general regulatory compliance. Soogi’s clients consist primarily of local and multinational corporate clients in finance, telecommunications, investment sectors and private equity funds.
Soogi is currently admitted to practice law as an Advocate of the High Court of Uganda and as an Attorney and Counsellor-at-Law in New York in the United States of America.
Soogi was the Chairperson of the Uganda Soccer League Disciplinary Committee.
He has headed many complex transactions and his standing has received international recognition; he has been ranked as a ‘highly regarded‘ lawyer by IFLR 1000 – Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms in its 2019 and 2018 Editions. He was ranked a leading transactional lawyer in the publication’s 2017, 2016, 2015, 2013, 2012, 2011 and 2010 Editions.Back to Lawyers