Alice Namuli Blazevic
Awards & Accolades
- 2018 Archbishop Desmond Tutu Fellowship (pursued in CapeTown and Said Business School , Oxford University)
- 2018 ‘Top 40 Influential People under 40’ by the New Vision, Uganda’s Leading Daily
- University of Helsinki, Finland – Artificial Intelligence titled ‘Elements of AI’ – 2019
- Makerere University – Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) (Hons) – 2003
- Law Development Center – Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice – 2004
- Advocate in the Republic of Uganda
Countries In Which Practiced
- United Kingdom
- International Bar Association
- East Africa Law Society
- Uganda Law Society Two term vice president 2016 – 2018, (Executive Council Member(Central Region), Chairperson of Female Lawyers Committee
- Young International Arbitration Group
- ‘Oil and Gas in Uganda and Ghana.’ Article published in the Hogan Lovells LLP Africa Journal – 2015.
- ‘Impact of the Public Private Partnership Act of Uganda.‘ Published in the Hogan Lovells LLP Africa Journal, December 2016.
- ‘Blockchain, Crypto currencies and the Law in Uganda‘ – East African Magazine 2017.
- ‘Blockchain, Crypto currencies and the Law‘ – Lex Africa Newsletter 2019
- Blockchain, Crypto curriencies and the Law – Asia Mena In house Counsel Magazine 2019
- ‘The future of Blockchain in Uganda’ – Kleros Blog 2018
- ‘Blockchain, Crypto currencies and the Law’ – Country Chapter (Uganda) in Chambers Global 2019.
Alice is an Associate Partner at Katende, Ssempebwa & Company Advocates, specialising in Commercial transactions.
She has over fourteen (14) years’ experience in Commercial Transactions, specialising in Projects and Infrastructure Finance, PPP’s, and the Energy Sector.
She also specialises in Technology law with a keen interest in Artificial Intelligence, Blockchain, Cryptocurrencies and the law. She represents several Fintechs and Blockchain Technology based businesses which are reshaping the mode of doing business in Uganda and Africa as a whole.
She is currently pursuing a course in Artificial Intelligence titled ‘Elements of AI’ from the University of Helsinki, Finland.
She also has experience in cross border transactions where she has advised various large multinational ventures within Uganda, and across East, South, West Africa and the United Kingdom.
Professional Leadership roles
- Alice served as the Vice President of the Uganda Law Society for two terms from 2016 – 2018.
- Alice also served as the Chairperson of the Female Lawyers Chapter of the Uganda Law Society. She was also the representative of the Central Region (Uganda) on the Executive Council of the Uganda Law Society.
- She also serves as the Uganda Country Leader for Legal Business Women For Africa (LABFA), a multi jurisdictional network of women transactional lawyers and corporate leaders in Africa and beyond. The network connects female corporate professionals, financial experts, lawyers, policy makers to mention but a few, to share knowledge, educate and mentor each other.
- She was appointed as an Executive Council Member of the Commonwealth Scholarships and Fellowship Alumni Association of Uganda in July 2015.
- Alice was awarded a Commonwealth Fellowship to work at Hogan Lovells LLP in the United Kingdom in January 2015.
- She is a Archbishop Desmond Tutu Leadership Fellow, having attended The African Leadership Institute (AFLI)’s flagship program; the ‘Tutu Leadership Fellowship Program’ in April, 2018.
- Alice is the Founder of Coffee With Alice, a mentorship program for aspiring lawyers, law students and young advocates aimed at bridging the gap between the theory learnt at law school and the challenges faced in legal practice. The program is also aimed at nurturing young leaders and teaching them how to give back.
- Alice is the founder of ‘I Read I Innovate‘, a children’s Literacy Community based project aimed at teaching children in poor communities how to love reading.
- Alice was a Panel Judge for the Global Solar Community Innovation Awards 2017/2018, hosted by SEED, ADELPHI, Barefoot College and UN Women and UN Environment, in South Africa.
- She was also a Panel Judge for the Law Digest Awards 2017/ 2018 aimed at recognizing excellence of lawyers in legal practice on the African Continent, held in Nigeria.
- Alice is an Executive Producer for ‘Breaking through‘, a documentary based on Florence Alice Lubega, the first Uganda Female MP in 1962. It will feature accomplished African Women to inspire the African girl child to pursue their dreams.
Local and International Speaking Engagements – 2017/2018
- East Africa International Arbitration Conference in Kigali 2017 about AI and Blockchain and it’s impact on the legal profession.
- Gave a public lecture at Nairobi University, Kenya about Impact of AI and Blockchain in January 2018.
- Was a speaker at the East Africa Law Society Annual Conference about the impact of AI and Blockchain on the legal profession in Kampala, 2017.
- Presented a paper on Arbitration or dispute resolution on the Blockchain at the East Africa International Arbitration Conference in Addis Ababa 2018.
- Spoke at the International Bar Association conference in Rome on the LegalTech panel about Impact of Tech (AI and Blockchain) on the legal profession.
- Spoke at the International Internet Association Forum Uganda Chapter conference on the Cybersecurity and Blockchain panel on the 7th November, 2018
- Gave a public lecture at Strathmore University Law School on the Impact of Artificial Intelligence and Blockchain on the Legal Profession: A dispute resolution disquisition on the 9th November, 2018.
- Spoke at the International Bar Association Regional Conference on Dispute Resolution. Topic “Procedures and the rules of court in a digital world: what is new and what should African lawyers be doing?” on the 15th November, 2015.
- Was a panelist on the “Managing the Revolution of Data” panel at the Kampala Digitization Forum on the 16th November, 2018.
For detailed information regarding transactions handled by this lawyer, please email email@example.com.